Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Be friend or not to be friend??

Where do I begin? As a reader, you ought to come across hundreds and hundreds of writing about friendship. Many of which will discuss the importance of making friends, reasons why one needs a friends and how getting the right friend can make a change you, perhaps to a better person. Many of these writing have made me realize of how my life has change with tremendously with the existence of my best and closest friend. I am more than glad to “brag” all about my friends and our friendship. Yes, these seven people (Heiry, Idham, Su, Pian, Hana, Nuzul and Berd) have changed my life with or without their knowing but in this entry I’m going to do a lit twist; instead of just talk about my friend and how I’ve known them, I’m going to talk about all the my favorite friendship movies and how, we, my friend and I has something similar to this movie.


First movie or rather TV series that has done impact to me is “Sex and The City”, casting of Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshow, Cynthia Nixon as Mirrada Hobbes, Kim Cattrall as Samantha Jones and last but not least Kristin Davis as Charlotte York. These four women who live in New York, at the beginning of the series have long known each other. Throughout the series, these women have become more and more knit together as they claim themselves as soul mates. Throughout this series also, I’ve learned that no matter what happened to you and your loved ones, your true friends will always be with you. In the movie sequence, produced after the hit TV series, Carrie was so devastated over her break up with Mr. Big, like always turned to her friends for support. It’s amazing how this women still come together without any prejudice even after Miranda told Carrie that she has might suggested to Mr. Big that he should reconsider of marriage after what happened between her and Steve. One of the culture in the film that my friend and I practice that we might have been influenced by the film is that we always made time for each other to ritually meet up over the weekend despite many of us have partner to entertain too.

The next movie is my all time favorite; My Best Friend’s Wedding. Acted by the infamous Julia Roberts, I watched this movie for the first time when I was 14years old. At the beginning of this movie, Julianne Potter a food critic for New York famous food magazine, acted by Miss Roberts, feels intimidated, jealous and furious, after her best friend, played by Dermot Mulroney (Michael O’Neil announced that he will be marrying a girl he has just known over the weekend. Jules then flies to Chicago with the intention of ruin the marriage in three days time. This is because she and Michael had promised each other that they will marry each other if none of them are married by the age of 35. Through the weekend, Jules discovered that, the real reason of why she wants the marriage to fail is because she is afraid of losing her friend not because of previous reason. Throughout the weekend Jules realize, true friendship mean that you are happy for whatever happiness afraid awaits for your friends and yes, jealousy, envious, angriness will stand in the way. It’s hard to except the changes in your friends because you need them to be exactly the way they were when you first met them.


Recent incident remind me of this two films. Hanna, my closest friend among my best friend fell in love with a new guy. This guys whom I barely knew took away my closest best friend and yes, I felt intimidated of losing her. F.I.Y, Hanna and I had gone through many up and downs in our life and we have been there for each other. After the incident we didn’t talk to each other for two months, the longest time ever. She was afraid to talk to me since and I was waiting for her to make the first move. For the past two months, I felt like some parts of me are missing and I knew it was my friendship with her. We had a long chat last Friday and that was the time we eventually straighten things up. I was so glad that we had the chat because now, even though we need to adjust few things, but we will remain as close friend as ever thanks to the rest for having the effort to clear the air.


Writing about friends without being cliché is not easy for me but one thing for sure, I’ll love being with them. For me, friendship is harder to maintain especially when you are talking about best friends since friendship is not a “force relationship” as for your siblings, mother and relatives. However one can be closer to the previous rather than later. To my other best friend, if you were to read this, I just want you guys to know that my life will be empty without all of you. I know I might have said it over and over again, your friendship will be much treasured till the end of my life.

1 comment:

  1. Sidek, a friend in need is a friend indeed. Sometimes, in a friendship it's not only a one way relationship but it takes 2 to tango,right? The most important is about respect. Yes, we can't make everybody to like us or force them to be our friends but at least we know the boundaries. It is simple, we don't do things that we don't like people do to us. Good luck..

    ReplyDelete